Monday, April 5, 2010

Moral Laws?

Earlier this morning, I heard the most ridiculous of statements. My philosophy teacher attempted to give us examples of how some governments try and provide us with laws that help us to be moral agents. She could come up with only two examples on the spot.

Laws against homosexuality and the act of making marijuana illegal.

I laughed and she asked why I thought it was funny. I told her that she should think of some different examples because the two she originally gave were really... bad choices. She didn't ask me to explain, but I feel the need to. So, I'll do it here.

Let us start with the easy one.

Homosexuality.

I'll be damned if they made laws against homosexuality because it teaches us to be "moral". Any laws made against homosexuality is only supporting a religion.

Tada.

Marijuana.

Marijuana was made illegal when the cotton industry felt threatened by the advancements hemp was making. You see, hemp can be used for many things. In fact, an acre of hemp can make just as much paper as 2.5 acres of trees. Hemp can be made into clothing. Hemp is also an herbal treatment that has been proven to reduce and even eliminate tumors. Many of the things we are taught in school, on television, and through the internet is that marijuana/hemp/pot makes you stupid and sterile and gives you cancer. Haha... ha. Wrong. It is all just government propaganda. Seriously. Take a look at some of the studies done in our own Virginia University in 1978. The study was shut down because it showed medical use for marijuana.

Like I said, she chose the wrong examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment